Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,704 guests, and 1,717 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 12:44 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 11:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 10:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 02:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 07:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 03:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 11:55 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 02/10/26 09:15 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by maxwestern - 02/10/26 08:18 PM
Serging revs
by looktall - 02/10/26 07:24 PM
Wanted: High quality photo of H. G. Palmer badge
by MarkusB - 01/10/26 09:04 PM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 03:41 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 11:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 10:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 11:38 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 9
gcv
Offline
Novice
Hi All
I humbly and emabrassingly (if there is such a word) approach the forum with my momentary lapse in intelligence.

I forgot to put oil in my Victa Tornado Plus Trimmer and the engine has siezed.

Can someone please advise a list of parts I will require so i can find out the cost of them to do the repair myself?

I've never worked on these engines before but do have some motorcycle engine (4 stroke) experience with engine rebuilds and carby work.

Thanks in advance

gcv


Joined: May 2011
Posts: 2,738
Likes: 6
Forum Historian
****
Let's see how bad it is, Can you pull of the muffler and get a clear photo of the piston side skirt down the exhaust port?


Cheers
Ty

____________________________
Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 9
gcv
Offline
Novice
I took a photo after removing the exhaust and this is it:

[Linked Image]

I actually got it working. It was seized and the rip chord would not move the piston. So while I had the exhaust off, I sprayed it liberally with loctite "Freeze & Release" which I use on siezed bolts successfully at work. I then removed the rip chord and tried turning the piston over manually. It worked!!

So put it all together, again, fuelled her up (with oil...........) and now she works again. I gave it a quick workout and I couldn't notice any loss of strenth.

I guess I will only know its fully OK if I do a compression test.

it is hard to see, but in the photo the piston is scored (scratched) from top to bottom on the left hand side; so there could be a loss of compression due to this.

Does anyone know what the compression pressure range should be for a healthy machine?

Cheers

gcv

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 2,738
Likes: 6
Forum Historian
****
I'm not sure what you should expect for the compression sorry, however, my thought, for what their worth:

Considering the repair here would be to replace the Piston and either hone, re-bore, or replace the cylinder, I would suggest it is OK to keep running as-is, if you are not noticing any ill-effects.

Provided it seems to be sounding as it should, providing the necessary power, and not showing any new vibration, I cant see it becoming an extra issue.

You may well find the piston wears out sooner than expected now, but then you just take the above action when needed.

Considering it is working, if it does start to show problems, re-asses the damage by removing the piston, and possibly changing the rings.


Cheers
Ty

____________________________
Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.

Moderated by  Bruce, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
Jason92, sofini23, DavidMac, Outbacker, Michael D
18,141 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,813
Members18,141
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1