Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
1 members (Bruce), 1,932 guests, and 2,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 11:44 AM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 10:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 09:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 01:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 06:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 02:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 10:55 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 02/10/26 08:15 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by maxwestern - 02/10/26 07:18 PM
Serging revs
by looktall - 02/10/26 06:24 PM
Wanted: High quality photo of H. G. Palmer badge
by MarkusB - 01/10/26 08:04 PM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 02:41 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 10:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 10:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 10:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 09:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 10:38 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#99787 20/07/19 01:55 PM
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 1
Novice
Hi all, I have recently inherited my grandfathers Model 33 which had been sitting unused for more than 30 years. I have been able to get the Kirby HK25 engine running with some tlc so now my attention has turned to the mower itself. It's in fair condition and I would like to undertake a full restoration in the future but for now I am just trying to get it running smoothly.
My main question is regarding a 20mm chip in the centre of the reel. Do you think this is something that I need to repair or if I get the blades sharpened will the engineer just ignore this? Or is the whole blade stuffed?

Thanks

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Attachments
Bren40 #99788 20/07/19 03:45 PM
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 83
Likes: 3
Trainee
Hi Bren40.

Gee, that chip looks a bit nasty, doesn’t it. The guy I take my cylinders to often replaces those single pieces by taking that whole spiral out and welding a new one in. Once it’s out on the grinder, enough material can be taken off to have it match the others. I’m sure there is someone else who may have another option, but I’m fairly sure he charges about $50-$80 to repair reels on top of the normal sharpening charge. You certainly don’t want to be up for a new reel ($400-$500) 😳

I would suggest you call around locally and get some quotes to repair it.

Bren40 #99791 20/07/19 05:43 PM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 385
Likes: 17
Apprentice level 4
G'day Bren40,

I'm no expert, but what em says is what I was thinking too. I certainly wouldn't run it as is.

Your 33 looks like it is in similar condition to my 45 when I got it. Certainly doable.

Last edited by Mystyler; 20/07/19 05:45 PM.

I don't collect mowers. I just require Multiple Mowing Solutions™.

Link Copied to Clipboard
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
sofini23, DavidMac, Outbacker, Michael D, Marcus Invictus
18,140 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,813
Members18,140
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1