Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
1 members (danj), 2,157 guests, and 2,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 12:44 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 11:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 10:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 02:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 07:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 03:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 11:55 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 02/10/26 09:15 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by maxwestern - 02/10/26 08:18 PM
Serging revs
by looktall - 02/10/26 07:24 PM
Wanted: High quality photo of H. G. Palmer badge
by MarkusB - 01/10/26 09:04 PM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 03:41 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 11:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 10:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 11:38 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 56
Victa obsessed
Hi all, I have a running 1975 Victa imperial and I would just like to know the history behind it, but when I Mowed the lawns with it it went quite fast, not in the engine speed respect, but in the walking speed respect, and yes, I do know it is self propelled

Last edited by CyberJack; 14/05/17 07:21 AM. Reason: Topic Heading.
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 6,938
Likes: 322
Forum Historian
Hello Totallyrandomvic

That topic has been touched upon...
https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=72729

I have some points to make:
[1] The pre-1972 Imperials (with four strokes) could be throttle back
for a slower landroll speed.
[2] The 2-strokes have a very sensitive throttle and have a
narrow torque curve... meaning higher RPMs for cutting.
[3] One reason for a high landroll speed may be worn centrifugal
clutch shoes - necessitating a higher RPM.

Landroll speed is probably the biggest criticism of these machines.

----------------
Jack

p.s. Later Masport Machines would offer a 'Slow Down Kit' for this reason.



Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 56
Victa obsessed
Jack, I doubt that this particular example has done more than 10 hours use, because it has all the original grease packings and stickers, and when I pulled the head it had very little carbon deposits inside and around the cylinder bore/head/exhaust, so I think we can rule out a worn clutch, and even though this is a two stroke, I have adjusted the throttle cable so I can have it at a just above idle rpm and it will putt along very nicely. Any extra info would be appreciated. Thx

Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 6,938
Likes: 322
Forum Historian
Quote
...and when I pulled the head it had very little carbon deposits inside and around the cylinder bore/head/exhaust, so I think we can rule out a worn clutch
Hello TRV
I guess you are stuck with a fast machine then. laugh

I feel there would be very little carbon deposits though.
The Imperial had a cylinder head spacer and ran BP Zoom Outboard (50:1 mix).

I believe you would have read my History Record on the Imperial.
I argued there that historical baggage gave the Imperial a high landroll speed.

The beauty of the Scott Bonnar Model 45 was that the designers thought
outside that baggage - they used about the same reduction ratios but
incorporated a clever 'hair-trigger' clutch - that reversed the operation
of the landroll clutch. The new approach permitted variable roller speed to
suit the operator. Just Brilliant!

Nonetheless, the Imperial does have its charms alongside its idiosyncrasies.
For the record, I would love to see some images of your machine.

Cheers
---------------
Jack



Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 56
Victa obsessed
Jack, I will try to post some photos later this afternoon, but I may need directions on how to post a photo

Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 6,938
Likes: 322
Forum Historian
G'day TRV

It's pretty easy ... HERE.

Cheers
----------------
Jack


Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
Jason92, sofini23, DavidMac, Outbacker, Michael D
18,141 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,813
Members18,141
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1