Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
0 members (), 6,279 guests, and 2,399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 12:44 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 11:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 10:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 02:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 07:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 03:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 11:55 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 02/10/26 09:15 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by maxwestern - 02/10/26 08:18 PM
Serging revs
by looktall - 02/10/26 07:24 PM
Wanted: High quality photo of H. G. Palmer badge
by MarkusB - 01/10/26 09:04 PM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 03:41 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 11:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 10:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 11:38 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#74113 30/03/16 12:34 AM
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 25
grl
Offline
Novice
Hi All,
I am looking for alternative to the MS180. I like the power to weight ratio and bar length combination and the 50:1 fuel mix. The MS180 was prone to running problems when hot: didn't want to idle or start. It had done very little work. I use it mostly for pruning or cut stump herbicide work so low weight was a bonus. I heard it was a chinese manufacture and not very adjustable in the carby area, unlike the more upmarket, heavier models.

Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 69
Trainee
Hi grl.i would check out your saw to fix the non idle and start issue when saw is hot.This is not a inherent problem with the saw,and must be something wrong with it.Is it still under warranty.?most of the time when I get customers with this problem it is usually a carb issue,or low compression due to piston being seized at some stage.i have many customers who have the ms 170 and 180, who have had them for years with no drama at all.i have never heard of any stihl machine being made under license in China.the carby does not have full mixture adj like other saws,as it works perfectly the way it is.if it does not,something is wrong. Hope this helps

Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 25
grl
Offline
Novice
Hi Pope,
Thanks for the info. My MS180 was stolen so I can't fix it. It was out of warranty. Your reply has given me enough confidence to replace it with the same model, although I wonder about the MS181 now and whether I should go for it instead.

Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 60
Trainee
I have a 180 that I bought jut to have behind the seat in my ute , you know for those you never know when you'll need a chain saw moment's hahahah:O)
well she gets used a lot more than that pruning small free around home and a lot around the golf course I frequent on working bees clean up days I use the saw for delimbing as its light and SINCE THE MUFFLER MOD AND RETUNE has performed really well and with sharp chain will take it to 12 and 16 inch limbs with vigour to say the least in am happy with it for what it is
I run all my equipment on fuel mixed at 25 to 30 to 1 and have never looked like cooking anything

Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 60
Trainee
I have a 180 that I bought jut to have behind the seat in my ute , you know for those you never know when you'll need a chain saw moment's hahahah:O)
well she gets used a lot more than that pruning small free around home and a lot around the golf course I frequent on working bees clean up days I use the saw for delimbing as its light and SINCE THE MUFFLER MOD AND RETUNE has performed really well and with sharp chain will take it to 12 and 16 inch limbs with vigour to say the least in am happy with it for what it is
I don't use it much on that sized limbs , other to show mates how well the little girl goes , but its a wee gem on to use as its light and has a good bit of go in it for a small saw

I run all my equipment on fuel mixed at 25 to 30 to 1 and have never looked like cooking anything


Moderated by  Bruce, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
Revan, Scoona, danj, Jason92, sofini23
18,144 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,813
Members18,145
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1