Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
2 members (MowingManiac, DavidMac), 2,670 guests, and 1,921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 12:44 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 11:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 10:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 02:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 07:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 03:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 11:55 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 02/10/26 09:15 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by maxwestern - 02/10/26 08:18 PM
Serging revs
by looktall - 02/10/26 07:24 PM
Wanted: High quality photo of H. G. Palmer badge
by MarkusB - 01/10/26 09:04 PM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 03:41 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 11:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 10:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 11:38 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 13
Novice
Hi, I'm new to OutdoorKing. I hope someone can help me. I recent procured this old Murray Ride-on and I'm having trouble getting it to roll. The engine is not going so I cannot drive it to move it, and I am trying to roll it but the back wheels want to go in opposite directions. The gearbox is in neutral and turning the motor over does not transmit power to the sprocket, putting it in gear does make the sprocket turn, so I'm happy that neutral is in fact Neutral. Is there a "lock" on the diff that has to be disengaged before it will roll? I know that sort of setup is on a lot of "modern" mowers. I have downloaded the parts manual but it doesn't show very much about the diff. Can anyone help??

Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 693
Qualified Senior
I don't know about your particular model but on the Murray/Stihl Viking variant that I have there is a small rod in the area behind the seat that has to be pulled up and moved forward in its slot to disengage the diff. You cannot roll it without doing it so sounds like yours might have something similar.

Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 13
Novice
Thanks AussieTrev, I will investigate further.

Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 13
Novice
I've had another look, it doesn't have the lever like yours Trev, but what I did find was that the brake had rusted "on" on the shaft of the gearbox. Freed it up, and all as it should be now.


Moderated by  Mr Davis, prd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
Grubby16, Revan, Scoona, danj, Jason92
18,145 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,813
Members18,145
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1