Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
1 members (Revan), 2,559 guests, and 1,412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 12:44 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 11:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 10:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 02:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 07:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 03:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 11:55 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 02/10/26 09:15 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by maxwestern - 02/10/26 08:18 PM
Serging revs
by looktall - 02/10/26 07:24 PM
Wanted: High quality photo of H. G. Palmer badge
by MarkusB - 01/10/26 09:04 PM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 03:41 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 11:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 10:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 11:38 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 18
Novice
Has anyone covered the drum rollers with anything after painting ? Ive spent all this time painting and clear coating everything , but not sure to try and cover them with something like rubber or vinyl tape. My main reason for this is to try and keep all the paint on the rollers, as i push it a fair distance over pavers etc to get to the lawn. Any ideas ?

Thanks

Portal Box 6
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 6,938
Likes: 322
Forum Historian
Hello Jim13

Welcome to the ODK Forums.

The original 45s left the factory with grey primed paint, designed to make them
look good on the showroom floor. Later machines just had the colour-of-the-day green.

Today, some reel mowers come with rubberised rollers (e.g. Masport).
There is no cheap after-market product that I know of for similar effect.

How about making yourself a carriage.
This was quite a common method for transporting reel mowers - push and powered.
[Perhaps a modified Supa-Cheap trolley?]

[Linked Image]

Hope this helps.
--------------------------------
JACK

Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 18
Novice
Lol probably a carriage a bit extreme.
I'll give the clear stuff I have a go if no other suggestions come up.

Thanks

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,998
Likes: 16
Former Moderator
Hi Jim,

Honestly the best thing is to not paint them at all as that way they never look ratty.

Cheers,
BB


I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,374
know nothing
or a long bit of carpet ? red ofCOURSE smile ..
sorry though , i just hadto say it

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,998
Likes: 16
Former Moderator
I love your honesty vccomm !!


I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,374
know nothing
blush

Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 18
Novice
Yeah I just hate the idea of rust .
I shouldn't really care because it's going to be used a lot .

Lol @ carpet , makes the carriage idea seem reasonable. Next suggestion might be to leave it on the lawn ?

Thanks

Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 6,938
Likes: 322
Forum Historian
Hello Jim13, vccomm, BB

In fact, if you use the machine a lot, rust will not form.
The rollers will develop a nice silver patina.

Yes, vccomm's 'red carpet' is just over the top...
Have you considered a pharoah's ceremonial barge? ... that's sure to make an entrance.

[Linked Image]

All very interesting.
-------------------------------
JACK

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,998
Likes: 16
Former Moderator
Hi All,

I still have my original 1968 14 inch Model 45 and to this day it has never developed any rust whatsoever. If you left it outside in the rain I would understand but if kept in a dry place (inside the garage) you should have no problems at all and as Jack said if it's used you'll never have this issue.

BTW I love the barge idea, obviously Jack's been looking over my fence as that's how mine has stayed so good over the years. LOL !

Hey, They're all my neighbors under the barge helping me !

Cheers,
BB


I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.

Moderated by  Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge 

Link Copied to Clipboard
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
Scoona, danj, Jason92, sofini23, DavidMac
18,143 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,813
Members18,144
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1