Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
0 members (), 4,870 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 12:44 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 11:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 10:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 02:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 07:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 03:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 11:55 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 02/10/26 09:15 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by maxwestern - 02/10/26 08:18 PM
Serging revs
by looktall - 02/10/26 07:24 PM
Wanted: High quality photo of H. G. Palmer badge
by MarkusB - 01/10/26 09:04 PM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 03:41 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 11:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 10:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 11:38 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#60823 04/01/15 02:40 AM
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 693
Qualified Senior
Does anyone know if the 5HP Kubota 4 stroke on their self propelled mower is unique to them or is it a rebranded motor from another manufacturer, and where could I get an ignition coil for it?

Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 693
Qualified Senior
So, I tracked down a new coil from Kubota. $180 plus postage up from Melbourne. Yikes! Here are photos of the coil mounting. Anyone know of a generic or other brand coil that might fit this engine? Or has anyone got a good coil laying around they want to sell by any chance? [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Joined: May 2014
Posts: 133
Likes: 2
Apprentice level 2
A pic of the whole engine might help, I have half an idea of what the engine might be but need to see it.

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,548
Likes: 25
AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
It is also helpful if you can provide the equipment numbers along any engine info you have. It just makes helping anyone much easier as we look-up parts.

On the forum I help mange in the US, it is one of our requirements for asking for help that the poster provide us these numbers so we can provide as accurate info as we can. This not only helps the person being help but helps us to find the information.

Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 693
Qualified Senior
Okay, the part number on the coil is BM35 769L
Photos of engine from three views. Note the PTO drive on the exhaust side for the self propelled gearbox. Really hope to get this one going again as it is a great mower.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by aussietrev; 10/02/15 06:49 PM.
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 133
Likes: 2
Apprentice level 2
I have a sneaking suspicion that is a Suzuki engine as I had one very similar that I turfed due to a dead coil....

Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 693
Qualified Senior
I just noticed in the photo there is a number cast in just below the governor arm which say GH150V and 0.145L. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 693
Qualified Senior
Just did a google on GH150V and it comes up with the Kholer and Kubota. ANyone familiar with Kohler's that can tell me if it is one of theirs?

Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 693
Qualified Senior
Found some other numbers, I'm assuming serial number, 150VLT-565504 if that helps.

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,926
Likes: 11
Pushrod Honda preferrer
***

Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 693
Qualified Senior
Yep, exactly like that. I saw that one come up when I was doing searches but it's in the US. There is a full mower for sale supposedly in running order in Victoria with bids starting at $170 on ebay as well but there are no bids.

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,548
Likes: 25
AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
From I can find the coil part number is 12681-67060.

It appears to be used on the model # 25962 Sears Craftsman lawnmower too.

Problem is I don't know what is available in your part of the world.

Boy, I dislike proprietary engines. Have the same problem sometimes with John Deere using Kawasaki engines.

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,926
Likes: 11
Pushrod Honda preferrer
***
If you want to hear some positive comments on the engine and the mower it goes on, try here:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/archive/index.php/t-123136.html

That doesn't help you get a cheap coil for it, of course. I can't see paying US$125 plus shipping for a coil when you can get the whole mower second-hand for not much more.

Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 693
Qualified Senior
Thanks AVB. Yes, from what I found Seers marketed this mower under their own label for a few years.

And Grumpy, thanks for the link. I am a member at MTF and know the mowers are well regarded, with many people preferring them to the Honda self propelled for commercial work. It's just a shame Kubota have such a poor reputation for after sales service and spares. They have had three different agents in my area in three years and none of them have ever actually carried parts themselves. The problem with buying a secondhand one from ebay is no warranty and no idea if it is actually a good engine or on its last legs. This one I have has done very little hours, I bought it secondhand from an old couple that had a lawn the size of a postage stamp, just unfortunate the coil went as it always started first pull and ran like a dream before that.

Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 693
Qualified Senior
After discovering a new coil pack was going to be $180, it came to me to take the HT lead out and recheck the resistances at the terminal rather than at the lead end as per the work shop manual. A real doh, why didn't I think of that before moment. Anyway, a new bit of HT lead and it nearly sat me on my bum. So while it was up on the stand, did the valve clearances, they were way off, checked and reset all the linkages to factory specs, put her all back together and first pull away she went.
Been some time since I had her running. Forgot how fast it is in top gear and how fast it can fill that big catcher. I'm feeling somewhat pleased with myself today.
Anyone ever need any specs for this mower, I have the original Kubota Workshop Manual which covers the 5019 and 5021 in all its variants and am happy to provide any information required.
[Linked Image]

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,926
Likes: 11
Pushrod Honda preferrer
***
Thanks for letting us know the outcome, aussietrev. I've merged this solution with the thread about the problem, and I'll now close it.


Moderated by  Bruce, CyberJack, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
avelingandy, Cdlmhunt5, BobsYourUncle, shjump, Fleshtuxcedo
18,151 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,813
Members18,151
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1