Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
0 members (), 2,709 guests, and 1,982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 11:44 AM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 10:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 09:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 01:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 06:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 02:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 10:55 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 02/10/26 08:15 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by maxwestern - 02/10/26 07:18 PM
Serging revs
by looktall - 02/10/26 06:24 PM
Wanted: High quality photo of H. G. Palmer badge
by MarkusB - 01/10/26 08:04 PM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 02:41 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 10:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 10:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 10:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 09:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 10:38 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#59209 11/11/14 07:15 AM
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 18
Novice
Hi everyone

Can anyone tell me if I have the piston round the right way? Its a 9000 series B&S (you probably already know that laugh )

[Linked Image]

The reason why I am asking is because when I installed the camshaft, cam gear and conrad (I hope I have the terminology right), the whole thing became almost impossible to turn using the camshaft. I smothered everything in oil so that shouldn't be an issue, I'm thinking. When I loosened the conrad connection thingy around the camshaft it turned a little bit easier. Once I took the whole thing off the camshaft turned easily in the sump. And when I took the camshaft out the piston moved up and down fairly easily.

So I don't know for sure how easily the whole thing should be able to be turned by the camshaft when it is all connected but I'm thinking it shouldn't be so hard that I need both hands, using rags for grip, to turn. I'm trying to eliminate probable issues. Can it be a bent conrad arm? To heavy tightening on nuts (I'm using a torque wrench).

Any help, as always, appreciated.


allan




Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,842
Likes: 14
Moderator
I suspect you mean crankshaft, not camshaft.

No, piston orientation is of no concern on a low-tech engine like a Briggs; they don't use offset gudgeon [aka wrist or piston] pins, or pegged rings. Those do require specific orientation, and there's always a mark on the piston crown to indicate it.

It will be difficult to turn the engine over by hand, just by gripping the crankshaft end. With the flywheel fitted, it should be fairly easy, by grabbing its outer edge. A matter of leverage...

Do you have the workshop/service manual for that engine? That will give you the correct fastener torque settings, as well as valve clearances and other essential info.
If not, get the Part Number from http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/shop/parts-and-accessories/repair-manuals then do a bit of Googling - it's not hard to find free PDF downloads these days.


Cheers,
Gadge

"ODK Mods can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you..."

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 18
Novice
Thanks Gadge.

I have the parts list and manual and have all the torque settings. Just wanted to make sure it being hard to turn was not because of something I was doing wrong.

Yep, crankshaft, still learning the terminology blush


Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
sofini23, DavidMac, Outbacker, Michael D, Marcus Invictus
18,140 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,813
Members18,140
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1