Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
0 members (), 2,191 guests, and 2,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 12:44 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 11:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 10:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 02:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 07:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 03:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 11:55 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 02/10/26 09:15 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by maxwestern - 02/10/26 08:18 PM
Serging revs
by looktall - 02/10/26 07:24 PM
Wanted: High quality photo of H. G. Palmer badge
by MarkusB - 01/10/26 09:04 PM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 03:41 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 11:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 10:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 11:38 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#4210 26/06/03 01:57 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 8
Novice
My McCulloch Pro Mac 610 chainsaw is giving me problems and I now need to decide whether to (a) Repair it and keep it, or (b) Repair it and sell it, or (c) Sell it as is for spare parts. Any suggestions?

#4211 28/06/03 12:34 AM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 6
Novice
whats wrong with it

#4212 28/06/03 12:37 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 8
Novice
What's wrong with it?... (a) It leaks a bit of oil. I've been told this is because the casing is cracked. But that's not a big problem as it leaks oil onto the chain, which is where it's needed. (b) It 'died' on me a couple of weeks ago and it needs a new coil. But the local service company can't obtain one, so I'm stuck with a non-functional chain saw.

#4213 28/06/03 05:31 PM
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 5,436
Likes: 36
Repair Junkie
****
Yunderup,
I can get you a second hand coil if you require it.

Regards,
Bruce [Linked Image]


Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce


Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums as it helps all members not just the individual.
#4214 30/06/03 01:46 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 8
Novice
I have just been to see the "mechanic" who was repairing my chainsaw to tell him that I have located a coil and he now tells me that it also needs a new piston and piston rings! As I'm not impressed by "mechanics" who don't tell me these sort of things up front I have taken the chainsaw from him and will see about reparing it myself... maybe. But is it worth it if I am now going to have to get a coil and piston plus rings, and I might as well get the cracked casing replaced, and who knows what else? What would all these parts cost? Alternatively, is there any value in it as 2nd hand parts, e.g. I have 3 chains? What do you think???

#4215 30/06/03 08:42 PM
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 5,436
Likes: 36
Repair Junkie
****
Yunderup,
Could you please advise if the cylinder has any scoring on it?

Regards,
Bruce [Linked Image]


Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce


Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums as it helps all members not just the individual.
#4216 02/07/03 01:18 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 8
Novice
From what I can see by looking in the exhaust port the cylinder seems ok. But of course there's one segment of the cylinder that I can't see. Maybe I'd better pull the whole thing apart...? Do you know if that is a straight forward job for an average backyard mechanic like me, or is there anything special I need to know?

#4217 02/07/03 06:54 PM
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 5,436
Likes: 36
Repair Junkie
****
Yunderup,
What is wrong with the piston and rings?
Do you have blow by past the rings?
Does the piston have score marks on the exhaust port side?

If you don't have any of these problems then DON'T take it apart as it would appear that you have been given the wrong advise.

Regards,
Bruce [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Bruce (edited 02-07-2003).]


Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce


Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums as it helps all members not just the individual.
#4218 02/07/03 07:58 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 8
Novice
The piston is definitely scoured on the exhaust port side. Don't know about blow back though.
It's sounding to me more and more like it's not worth repairing. If I have to buy a coil, plus a piston, plus rings, plus who knows what else, which I guess would add up to around $200, that's not far short of what I paid for the chain saw 2nd hand.

#4219 02/07/03 08:25 PM
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 5,436
Likes: 36
Repair Junkie
****
Yunderup,
Because the piston has score marks on the exhaust side that means lack of lubrication. I would be suggesting that you put the machine to rest and invest in another saw.

Regards,
Bruce [Linked Image]


Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce


Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums as it helps all members not just the individual.
#4220 02/07/03 08:34 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 8
Novice
I think I will take you advice on that. Am I allowed to advertise it for sale as spare parts on this bulletin board?


Moderated by  Bruce, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
Grubby16, Revan, Scoona, danj, Jason92
18,145 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,813
Members18,145
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1