Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
1 members (MowingManiac), 2,159 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 12:44 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 11:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 10:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 02:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 07:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 03:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 11:55 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 02/10/26 09:15 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by maxwestern - 02/10/26 08:18 PM
Serging revs
by looktall - 02/10/26 07:24 PM
Wanted: High quality photo of H. G. Palmer badge
by MarkusB - 01/10/26 09:04 PM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 03:41 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 11:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 10:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 11:38 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#32834 20/01/12 08:42 PM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 31
SB Lover
Hi all, am about to start painting my Scotty, just wondering if people think the rear roller should be painted or not.
Mine was originally painted but of course through use, the paint had all worn off the ridges on the roller. The valleys still had paint.
I think an unpainted roller would look better than a painted one with half the paint worn off(I am going to use this machine).
If I do leave it unpainted, any ideas on how to stop the surface rust that's going to come?
Opinions/ideas?

davo76 #33765 15/02/12 09:55 PM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 14
Novice
Hi Davo,

I rekon it depends on if your a purist and you want it look original or not.

Uunfortunately I don't know what colour the drums were out of the box, but I have seen some pics of really cool looking resto's of late model SB45 with GMH Black drums with the avocado green chassis and red cylinder reel.

Otherwise go with what you rekon.

I dont know of any product that will keep the roller ridges free of surface rust other that frequent use that is. :-)


Andy

BlackMilk #33767 16/02/12 02:38 AM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 131
Apprentice level 2
Gooday Davo,
I have used a phosphate rust converter (which dries to a matt black finish) on unpainted cast iron. Have also seen fish oil used to stop rusting too. Might pong a bit though.
Both these fluids were painted on with a brush.
Stationary smile


I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.
davo76 #34115 25/02/12 07:48 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,998
Likes: 16
Former Moderator
Hi guys,

Honestly if the unit is to be used regularly then it won't rust up anyway. They only really suffer that issue if left standing idle in a damp location.

Basically use it or lose it I guess.

Cheers.


I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,362
Likes: 11
Administrator - Master Technician
****
Hi All,
Scott Bonnar never painted the rear rollers. The castings were cleaned up of the flashing and mounted to the machines at manufacture. It was Rover that started painting them after the shift of the factory to Brisbane.

You will find (as Bonnar_bloke has said) that with regular use it will not rust....(at least mine never has). wink
cheers2


Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.
Kindest Regards, Darryl grin



Link Copied to Clipboard
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
Revan, Scoona, danj, Jason92, sofini23
18,144 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,813
Members18,145
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1