Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
1 members (Olqualcast), 3,928 guests, and 2,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 12:44 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 11:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 10:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 02:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 07:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 03:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 11:55 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 02/10/26 09:15 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by maxwestern - 02/10/26 08:18 PM
Serging revs
by looktall - 02/10/26 07:24 PM
Wanted: High quality photo of H. G. Palmer badge
by MarkusB - 01/10/26 09:04 PM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 03:41 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 11:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 10:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 11:38 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#13403 02/09/09 05:00 AM
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 8
Novice
Hi,

I have a Masport mower with a Briggs & Stratton motor model number:

12B802 - 1091 E1 98042259 (taken from the motor cowl)

The mower stopped running yesterday during use and wouldn't restart. It turns over fine and has fuel. I have tested for spark and found no spark at all.

I stripped the cowl off and had a look at the coil thinking that perhaps there was a problem with the lead or ground wire, or coil spacing.

All of the connections look fine, the gap between the coil and the flywheel was fine too. So I am left thinking that the coil itself is probably dead.

My question: is this part:

https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/index.p...mp;cPath=193_195_202&products_id=254

The correct coil for this motor?

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Langdon

J
Joe Carroll
Unregistered
What motor is it, (sorry I am not real good with serial numbers.

quantum, sprint, 3.5hp, etc? I have had a couple of quantum coils go bad for an odd reason. I have kept a few old ones as spares for myself.

Did you Try a new spark plug?

Cheers, Joe


Joined: May 2007
Posts: 8
Novice
Hi Joe,

The motor is the Quantum, no horsepower listed anywhere though. It is good to know that the coils are a known weakness on these motors. I tried a new spark plug after checking all of the contacts but no luck. It looks like the coil is the most likely culprit.

I have ordered a new coil via the online store here, so I should be good to go.


Just for the record I found the B&S parts list for this motor and found that I had the serial number wrong. It's actually:

12V802-1091-E1

Thanks for the feedback Joe, much appreciated.

Langdon

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,926
Likes: 11
Pushrod Honda preferrer
***
The first two digits of the type number are the engine displacement in cubic inches: in your case, 12. My 3.5 horsepower Victa has a 9 cubic inch (148 cc)engine with the pulsajet carburetor (model 92808). However I also have a 9 cubic inch with a vacujet carburetor (model 92508 - the third digit tells you which carburetor is fitted) on a Rover, and it had less than 3 hp so B&S simply did not state the power output. (In their overhaul manual they say they had decided to reduce the engine's maximum speed when fitted to rotary mowers, 'for safety reasons.' The pulsajet engines produce maximum hp at 3,600 rpm, compared with less than 3,000 rpm on the vacujet versions). Perhaps they had similar multiple versions of 12 cubic inch Quantums, and if so this might be the reason there was no horsepower label on yours - it would make commercial sense for them to only put a label on the highest-output version. I'm just guessing of course. I do know that I like my 3.5 hp Victa's engine better than my less-than-3 hp Rover's.

Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 5,436
Likes: 36
Repair Junkie
****
Originally Posted by Langdon
Hi,

I have a Masport mower with a Briggs & Stratton motor model number:

12B802 - 1091 E1 98042259 (taken from the motor cowl)

The mower stopped running yesterday during use and wouldn't restart. It turns over fine and has fuel. I have tested for spark and found no spark at all.

I stripped the cowl off and had a look at the coil thinking that perhaps there was a problem with the lead or ground wire, or coil spacing.

All of the connections look fine, the gap between the coil and the flywheel was fine too. So I am left thinking that the coil itself is probably dead.

My question: is this part:

https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/index.p...mp;cPath=193_195_202&products_id=254

The correct coil for this motor?

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Langdon

That is the correct coil for your engine. You can download the parts list HERE cheers2


Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce


Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums as it helps all members not just the individual.
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 11
Novice
Hi, did you try taking the stop wire off the coil? it might have a short in the wire or the block that the wire runs to on the throttle plate.
I've had the little prong that touches when the throttle control is in the off position, bend and earth out killing the spark.


Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
Fleshtuxcedo, bloge, Grubby16, Revan, Scoona
18,147 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,813
Members18,148
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1