Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
0 members (), 4,189 guests, and 1,713 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 11:44 AM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 10:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 09:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 01:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 06:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 02:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 10:55 PM
Topic Replies
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 02:41 PM
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 11:44 AM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 10:23 AM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 01:48 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 10:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 10:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 10:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 09:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 10:38 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 17/09/26 10:08 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 3
Novice
Hi there,as stated in the title I'm looking for an oversized piston for this engine.I was gifted a mower by neighbor who said the previous owner apparently ran it on straight gas and seized
it.A new set of rings were fitted to the standard size piston but no work was done to the bore and it lacks compression(about 445psi)and won't run.
After taking off the cylinder head and inspecting the bore it doesn't look too badly scored so I think it's salvageable so,as it owes me nothing I'm thinking I would like to have it bored to the next piston size if parts are still available.

Thanks

Bob

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 8,215
Likes: 235
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Bob, I find if I hone the bore and put in a new set of rings they usually work fine. Getting a bit hard in Aus these days to get somebody to bore small engines

Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,725
Likes: 220
SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
G'day Bob,

Seeing that you're in NZ ,I'd look on that Trade me site as a complete mower is $50.

If you do a rebore it could cost $150 to $200.

eBay have pistons etc.

Probably have nothing to loose if you try honing the bore ,if you don't have a hone I'm sure a Motorbike wreckers etc could
hone the bore at a cheap price but if it was me I'd just use this one for parts and buy another mower .

Cheers
Max.

Attachments
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 3
Novice
Thanks guys for the replies,I have a cylinder hone so I may as well give it a go and see what happens,apparently the rings on the piston are new and as it never ran(there's absolutely no carbon on the top of the piston,its spotless)I think they should be ok to reuse.
The mower this engine is fitted to is a 24" slasher, I've not seen many of these over here so I'm keen to get it to run again as it will make short work of my large lawns.

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 8,215
Likes: 235
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Bob,
My favourite mower/slasher but be aware that when they have a PT on them if they do not have enough weight on the crank they will kick back savagely, trust me I have fought this problem for years, they need an extra 1 kg on the bottom of the crank.

Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 5,436
Likes: 36
Repair Junkie
****
Originally Posted by Bob47
Hi there,as stated in the title I'm looking for an oversized piston for this engine.I was gifted a mower by neighbor who said the previous owner apparently ran it on straight gas and seized
it.A new set of rings were fitted to the standard size piston but no work was done to the bore and it lacks compression(about 445psi)and won't run.
After taking off the cylinder head and inspecting the bore it doesn't look too badly scored so I think it's salvageable so,as it owes me nothing I'm thinking I would like to have it bored to the next piston size if parts are still available.

Thanks

Bob

Bob,

Here is a link to the Piston assembly which is cheaper than ebay listing. CLICK HERE


Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce


Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums as it helps all members not just the individual.

Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
September
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Newest Members
David Hurley, Benny84, Bauma, Merro27, fernanycia
18,135 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,808
Members18,136
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1