Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
1 members (danj), 2,157 guests, and 2,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 12:44 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 11:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 10:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 02:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 07:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 03:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 11:55 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 02/10/26 09:15 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by maxwestern - 02/10/26 08:18 PM
Serging revs
by looktall - 02/10/26 07:24 PM
Wanted: High quality photo of H. G. Palmer badge
by MarkusB - 01/10/26 09:04 PM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 03:41 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 11:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 10:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 11:38 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 24
Likes: 1
tobyoats
Are the magneto`s / flywheel on a 5hp engine interchangeable with the 3.5 hp engine?

My 5hp engine (131232 - 0111-02 - 800 82307) does not spark the spark plug but I can feel a current if I hold the lead and pull the starter. I have replaced the points and the condenser and checked the gap on the flywheel. I have a 3.5 hp engine that produces good spark.

I noted that the earth wire from the magneto had no insulation on it?

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 8,215
Likes: 235
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Malcolm,
I don't think so you will find the bolt spacing it slightly wider on the 5hp. I would think the coil from a vertical shaft Quantam motor should fit

Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 2,101
Likes: 81
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
For that model, according to briggs you will need a 395491 coil if you want to bypass points (it includes magnetron EI) or 298316 to keep points.

They also list 397358 magnetron coil suits it, which is more commonly available.

It is available aftermarket as GA spares ECP5079. Unfortunately not the same as the 3.5hp motor as Norm mentioned and unfortunately a quantum won't fit either apparently

Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,727
Likes: 220
SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
Originally Posted by Tyler
. and unfortunately a quantum won't fit either apparently

I have an old 5 hp cast iron flywheel motor ( from the seventies) here that I converted to pointless ignition by using a quantum coil but it
was back in the nineties when the conversion was done so all I can remember was grinding the ends of the iron core to match
the diameter of the flywheel , the 5 hp motor still runs well and I've never given the motor an oil change .


Cheers
Max.

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 8,215
Likes: 235
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Max,
I have had to grind the ends on a few Quatam coils to fit them on various motors. The one interesting one recently,I fitted a Quantam coil to was a 16hp V twin I think it bolted straight on, might have had to grind the ends a bit because of the bigger diameter flywheel, and I had to extend the HT lead but all pretty simple because I wasn't going to spend $60 on a Vanguard coil

Joined: May 2020
Posts: 24
Likes: 1
tobyoats
Thank you


Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
Jason92, sofini23, DavidMac, Outbacker, Michael D
18,141 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,813
Members18,141
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1