Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
0 members (), 4,870 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 12:44 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 11:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 10:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 02:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 07:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 03:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 11:55 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 02/10/26 09:15 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by maxwestern - 02/10/26 08:18 PM
Serging revs
by looktall - 02/10/26 07:24 PM
Wanted: High quality photo of H. G. Palmer badge
by MarkusB - 01/10/26 09:04 PM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 03:41 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 11:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 10:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 11:38 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#101 22/09/01 09:30 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 7
Novice
I've got an older Toro lawn mower #20700 with a Tecumseh motor and a fixed main carb. I've rebuilt the carb (new float, seat and atospheric plug), cleaned it out. It doesn't want to run. At first all it did was run on what I could prime via the bulb. But after fiddling with it I got it to run buy placing my hand over the carb intake and regulating the vacume. I had the linkeage apart (governor and throttle) and I'm not sure if I've reassembled them correctly in sync. When running it wants to lope. There is no response to the throttle lever. Also it will only run when the air cleaner assemply is installed...I guess for vacume.
Any help would be appreciated. What can I do to tune this into a runner?
Thanks.

#102 22/09/01 10:54 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 4
Novice
Your motor needs to be choked because there is not enough fuel getting to the engine. check the fuel line by blowing through it. if it seems block you will have to replace it. If this is not the case, your floats may be down too low.

#103 24/09/01 12:20 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 7
Novice
Thanks Luke for the reply. I checked the fuel line and it appears to be clear. I'll try resetting the float but I was told 11/64"and that's where I'm at. Is erring on the wider side better? WHy no throttle response? Where can I get a picture of the correct way to connect the rod from the throttle and the rod from the butterfly to the governor?
Thanks again Luke.

#104 24/09/01 05:38 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 5
Novice
Spike- These are good engines but are very finiky as to carb setup. They don't have a measured distance for the float. They have a special guage for setting float height. Also carb linkage can be a little tricky due to so many different configurations. Suggest you get a Techumse Service Manual, $8 to $10 dollars I think, or check your local library. Many have several good books for repairing small engines. You will have to get the guage from a Techumse dealer. Part number will be in the book.If everything is right, these engines start easy and run great. Hope this helps. John

#105 25/09/01 03:50 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 7
Novice
Thanks John. I'll go looking for that manual.
Spike

#106 25/09/01 05:51 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 5
Novice
Spike- Just reread your post. The nut that holds the float bowl on has one or two very small holes that meter the fuel . These must be clean. Also, I usually put the nozzle on the can of carb cleaner an shoot cleaner thru all passages I can find. If you do this and set the float level with the guage, I think you'll find it will run pretty good.John

#107 25/09/01 11:23 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 7
Novice
Did all that John. The bowl bolt has one hole in it and I cleared it. Also did the carb cleaner trick as well. I have instructions from a Tecumseh manual that says 11/64" is the gap. Did that too. Still does the same thing. I'm beginning to feel like this is a "man against machine" battle of the "minds".
Next??
Thanks John.

#108 26/09/01 09:55 PM
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 5,436
Likes: 36
Repair Junkie
****
Spike,
Have you checked your valve clearance?
Also check the valve seats for pit marks etc because if the valves are not seating correctly you will have problems that you have described.

Regards,
Bruce


Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce


Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums as it helps all members not just the individual.
#109 27/09/01 03:49 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 7
Novice
Valve clearance? I'll have to check that out. I don't have any spec on it but I suppose I can find it. I'll check out any recession or pits too.
Thanks Bruce.


Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
avelingandy, Cdlmhunt5, BobsYourUncle, shjump, Fleshtuxcedo
18,151 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,813
Members18,151
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1