Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
0 members (), 4,870 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 12:44 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 11:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 10:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 02:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 07:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 03:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 11:55 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 02/10/26 09:15 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by maxwestern - 02/10/26 08:18 PM
Serging revs
by looktall - 02/10/26 07:24 PM
Wanted: High quality photo of H. G. Palmer badge
by MarkusB - 01/10/26 09:04 PM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 03:41 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 11:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 10:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 11:38 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 27
Novice
.
My Greenfield Anniversary 12 reconditioning is all but complete, finally!

All I have to do now is sort out a spark problem.......
I've fitted a new coil. All good.
Motor won't fire. Fuel supply all good, but the spark plug's not igniting it.
I can only get the spark plug to fire (out of the head) when I pull it slightly away from contact with the engine! A spark will jump from ground to plug, and the plug will fire nicely at the electrode.
If I earth the plug to the engine/frame it won't fire!

I've never come across this sort of problem before and it'll no doubt be something dumb.

Any ideas on what I should check guys? (Please.)

Thanks in advance.

Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 567
Likes: 2
prd Offline
MOD & GREENFIELD TECHNICIAN
G'day tzeggy,

My only suggestion based on my own experience would be to try a new (new) plug.

Reading your symptoms reminded me that a vintage car bloke once told me that they would often leave an air gap in the HT lead (solid wire core, I guess) without it the thing just wouldn't fire! Was completely baffled by this when I heard it and haven't been given a decent explanation as to why this should be the case. I'd love it if someone could offer a good technical explanation!

Cheers,

Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 27
Novice
.
Thanks prd.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this one's the original plug.
I'll go buy a new one.

Cheers,
Greg

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 8,215
Likes: 235
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Greg, plug is dead, it is earthing through the insulator

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,548
Likes: 25
AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Agree with NormK. That why I keep a supply Martian made plugs around just can't get Earthling plugs to work.
lol

Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 27
Novice
.
Thanks guys!

Yep, a new plug has fixed it.

Thank you to everyone who has helped with advice during this project (especially you NormK!). I have thoroughly enjoyed it!

(BTW, Danny is the mate who gave me the mower originally.)



Last edited by tzeggy14; 30/09/17 01:54 PM.
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 27
Novice
.
I drove it around my front yard and everything seems to be working.
I'm stoked! Can't wait to try it out up at the farm now!


Moderated by  Mr Davis, prd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
avelingandy, Cdlmhunt5, BobsYourUncle, shjump, Fleshtuxcedo
18,151 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,813
Members18,151
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1