Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
2 members (looktall, Commspares), 4,302 guests, and 1,588 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 12:44 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 11:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 10:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 02:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 07:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 03:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 11:55 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 02/10/26 09:15 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by maxwestern - 02/10/26 08:18 PM
Serging revs
by looktall - 02/10/26 07:24 PM
Wanted: High quality photo of H. G. Palmer badge
by MarkusB - 01/10/26 09:04 PM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 03:41 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 11:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 10:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 11:38 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3
Novice
I have a Greenfield Anniversary 12-32. The drive shaft has sheared and I am in the process of removing it but could do with some help explaining how to remove this without dismantling the whole of the back end. I have managed to get hold of a similar model for spares and am dismantling both and trying to learn from the one I have for spares to work on mine.

The main difficulty I am experiencing is removing the drive shaft complete with drive plates, etc., from the clutch.

If anyone has any ideas or has tackled this job themselves, I would really appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks

Portal Box 6
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,926
Likes: 11
Pushrod Honda preferrer
***
We have had several detailed threads on this. I suggest you look at these, as a starting point:
https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=20076&page=1
https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/u...amp;Main=6920&Number=34937#Post34937

I think your Greenfield is the early long-shaft type, which is prone to breaking the clutch shaft after very lengthy service. This is the type described by Deadly Dave in the former thread, above. Most Greenfields have the short-shaft design, with the battery relocated to sit beside it. This is the design shown in the latter thread, above. I haven't heard of a clutch shaft breaking on a short-shaft machine, if that makes you feel any better, though it probably won't.


Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3
Novice
Hi Grumpy,

The first thread is absolutely spot on. It describes exactly the same problem I have had with my mower and I expect that I will be able to swap these drive shafts over now. There is also a reference to a place where one can get Greenfield parts which could be extremely useful in the future, if not a little costly on carriage back to the UK!

Just for the record, I have found this mower to be an absolute delight, cuts through anything (albeit clearly at the expense of putting too much torque on the drive shaft) and exceptionally manoeuvrable with its unique forward/reverse pedal (again probably a bit much on the drive shaft).

And final comment - Deadly Dave's description of the lubricant spray he uses as "Possum Piss" absolutely cracked me up - brilliant!!

Many thanks Grumpy.

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,926
Likes: 11
Pushrod Honda preferrer
***
Thanks for reporting back, Chris. Our archives are much more useful to people with problems, if the previous cases reach clear conclusions.

The early, long-style drive shaft appears to break after long service, due to excessive overhang and stress concentrations. The ones that have been breaking are more than 20 years old, which is probably a more-or-less reasonable service life I suppose. The failures we have seen appear to have been due to bending moment caused by the long overhang, not torsional stress, so I do not think the forward/reverse pedal is a significant factor.

Greenfield's service department has been helpful to several Outdoorking members, including one in the UK:
https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/u...amp;Main=7439&Number=39215#Post39215
However, as you say, freight cost is likely to be considerable.

The various Greenfield ride-on mowers made over the years since the late 1960s have been interesting machines and seem to do a good job, though they have peculiarities that you need to get used to. We have a fairly substantial archive on them - if you search our records for "Greenfield" you may find some of the threads to be worth reading.


Moderated by  Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, prd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
Cdlmhunt5, BobsYourUncle, shjump, Fleshtuxcedo, bloge
18,150 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,813
Members18,151
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1