Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
0 members (), 2,709 guests, and 1,982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 11:44 AM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 10:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 09:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 01:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 06:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 02:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 10:55 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 02/10/26 08:15 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by maxwestern - 02/10/26 07:18 PM
Serging revs
by looktall - 02/10/26 06:24 PM
Wanted: High quality photo of H. G. Palmer badge
by MarkusB - 01/10/26 08:04 PM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 02:41 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 10:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 10:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 10:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 09:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 10:38 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#27028 20/08/11 02:53 AM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 3
Novice
Greetings all,
I have an FS86 trimmer that I inherited from my Father-in-law. I assume it is about 15 years old, plus or minus. Just recently, the trimmer head gave out. Turns out it never had grease in the gear box. I am looking to repair this, and have two questions.
1. Can the trimmer head be taken apart? I have removed it from the main body with the two Torx bolts which clamp the head on. But can I get to the gears to replace them? I can't seem to find a way to remove the string housing plastic piece from the gear box. Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. My second question comes if question 1 is answered with "it is a one piece unit". If this is the case, does anyone know where I can get a new trimmer head unit?

Thank you for all of your help.
John Wilson

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,926
Likes: 11
Pushrod Honda preferrer
***
Hi John, and welcome to Outdoorking. I've had a look in the owner manual, and it does not tell us whether the gearbox can be dismantled. I've also looked on the internet for spare parts, and only found commonly used spares such as filters, piston rings, clutch parts, etc. I suspect that you have no chance of getting brand new replacement internal parts for the gearbox, and you probably wouldn't want to pay for them anyway for such an old machine. You may find a new gearbox in somebody's "old stock", and you can probably get a second hand gearbox from a mower repairer/wrecker, who may also be able to advise on whether some other gearbox, or entire shaft-and-gearbox, will fit. (An Outdoorking member may also know the answer to that one.) That is about all I can suggest unfortunately.

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 3
Novice
Grumpy,
Thank you for your thoughts. I have seen the same parts online as well. I will do some searching for some local dealers that may have a trimmer head buried in their old stocks.

Cheers,
John

Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 6
Novice
Does anyone know where I may find a aluminum drive shaft housing for a Stihl FS 86 trimmer?


"You can have any color you like as long as it's black."
Henry Ford

Moderated by  Bruce, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
sofini23, DavidMac, Outbacker, Michael D, Marcus Invictus
18,140 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,813
Members18,140
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1