Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
0 members (), 4,870 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 12:44 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 11:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 10:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 02:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 07:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 03:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 11:55 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 02/10/26 09:15 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by maxwestern - 02/10/26 08:18 PM
Serging revs
by looktall - 02/10/26 07:24 PM
Wanted: High quality photo of H. G. Palmer badge
by MarkusB - 01/10/26 09:04 PM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 03:41 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 11:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 10:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 11:38 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 2
Novice
First I�d like to say hello to everyone on the forum. A bit of a sad story, but my father-in-law passed away a couple of weeks ago and I inherited a Victa 8/26e ride on mower w/ b&s engine in much need of some restoration. I�m a total novice when it comes to mowers, but am determined to get the old gal working again.
Firstly, I haven�t been able to track down a repair manual for this model which is slowing things down tremendously. Secondly, compounding this I�ve had very little luck with mower stores (they all seem to think I should buy a new model).
I went through some testing when the ignition would not turn the engine over at all. Checked the battery. Lots of charge. Then hooked up the starter directly to the battery. Turns the engine over fine, but, of course, when the battery jump is removed the engine fails to continue on it�s own. I�m guessing this has something to do with the starter solenoid not engaging the engine. I could be jumping the gun but thought a replacement solenoid would do the trick? I only problem is that I have no idea what the replacement item number is and it looks non-standard.
Any help to breathe some much-needed life into her will be most welcome indeed.
Kind regards,
Sol Hart.

J
Joe Carroll
Unregistered
First thing I would be checking is all the safety switches. then blame the solenoid.

Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 5,436
Likes: 36
Repair Junkie
****
victa-8/26e :welcome: to the forum and I am sure that we can help you as we have the parts in the parts list and manuals area of the forum.

I would be doing what Joe has said by checking all the safety switches before looking at the solenoid. To do this you can test each switch buy pushing in the buttons and trying to start the mower also not that the seat has a safety switch in it as well.

If that does not work then you will have to bypass thye switches one by one to find the faulty one. cheers2

Last edited by Deejay; 11/11/09 01:28 AM. Reason: correction of username

Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce


Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums as it helps all members not just the individual.
J
Joe Carroll
Unregistered
Sorry guys I will add a bit more to my post as well, betting up at 3am yesterday morning did no good to me.



I belive you could possibly test the solenoid by itself, there should be a terminal on it that you can give a + 12v feed to that will activate it.

I had a 8/26e, spent ages trying to get the electrics right, then the old briggs died. I removed all the electrics and used an old pull start rover engine.

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 2
Novice
First of all, thanks for the quick replies Bruce and Joe. Replying and 10pm and 5:30am is truly going beyond the call and it is much appreciated believe me. Also sorry to hear your B&S died, but I�m sure it put in a few years of loyal service before it did if the anecdotes are true.

Can I start by asking how close similar models manuals are (8-30E ) when it comes to the electrics? I noticed one the subscription section and have printed it out.

I checked the mower this morning and if it ever had safety switches like Ref No.7 (8-30E ) in the first diagram they have already been removed (not even leftover seat switch elecs). There is, however, a module between the ignition and the solenoid (on the 12 V feed Joe was talking about) that I have bypassed but still no dice. Looked for the ignition fuse and have not been able to find it yet (if it is there at all).
Next, attempted to connect directly to the 12v feed as Joe suggested and got an initial �clinck� to my joy. Alas, have not been able to replicate that sound on subsequent goes. Will leave it and try tonight.

Additional information I found if it helps: syncro balanced, elec start, 319 cc, 3600 rpm, series 0.
Kind regards,
Sol.


Moderated by  Mr Davis, prd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
avelingandy, Cdlmhunt5, BobsYourUncle, shjump, Fleshtuxcedo
18,151 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,813
Members18,151
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1