Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 397 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Briggs and Stratton problems 550EX O9P702-0127-H5
by Geesey67 - 25/06/24 05:45 PM
666 The Beast
by maxwestern - 24/06/24 10:19 PM
Four(4) Ring Main Jet Availability
by Jeffery - 20/06/24 11:36 AM
When did China start making PT engines for Victa?
by Jeffery - 18/06/24 02:12 PM
What Colour Was the Old Power Torque Mufflers?
by Jeffery - 16/06/24 08:30 AM
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 26/05/24 07:43 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Topic Replies
Briggs and Stratton problems 550EX O9P702-0127-H5
by maxwestern - 25/06/24 09:26 PM
666 The Beast
by maxwestern - 24/06/24 10:19 PM
Identifying Victa Carby Jets
by maxwestern - 22/06/24 12:59 AM
Four(4) Ring Main Jet Availability
by maxwestern - 21/06/24 05:54 PM
What Colour Was the Old Power Torque Mufflers?
by bigted - 20/06/24 11:03 PM
When did China start making PT engines for Victa?
by maxwestern - 19/06/24 10:06 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 07/06/24 01:05 PM
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Bruce - 03/06/24 11:01 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 30/05/24 10:40 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Apprentice level 2
Out cutting firewood with 1984 Husky 50 Rancher and noticed a lot of bar oil dribbles on the cut sections. Lot of oil coming out of the hole above the bar oil filler cap in the photo.

Obviously a vent plug has fallen out. Is this a part which is common to old Huskys and any chance I might be able to get one these days?

Attached Images
Husky50ChainOilVent.jpg (161.44 KB, 71 downloads)
Last edited by MowingManiac; 18/05/24 11:25 AM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
Hi MM,

I had a quick look online to see what sort of plug is in that position but don't know if that part is available anymore ,I'd probably
just block it off with a wood dowel or small welch plug or file up a plug as it looks like a rubber blank plug but if it's a breather
you'd try putting in a breather.

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
Rancher 50.jpg (86.76 KB, 54 downloads)
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Both seem NLA, but check with your local dealer

501 62 44-01 vent plug - nla
503 27 03-01 - snap ring, nla but its just a 8X0.25 external retaining ring

I would just be finding a piece of fuel line that fits the hole and shove a small duckbill valve in it and recess into the port as far as possible

Ok you guys are correct it's a breather plug , must let air into the oil tank so you get correct oil flow ,the duckbill valve works
on pressure not suction you may need a vacuum valve,you may be able to adapt a valve from another saw or do as Tyler
suggested with the fuel line with a vac valve..

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
vacuum valve 1.jpg (12.66 KB, 50 downloads)
I see some Duckbill valves are listed for fuel and oil but must be incorrectly listed and will only vent fuel tank pressure ,when
looking at all the stihl chainsaw parts lists all the duckbill valves are for fuel vents even though some sellers list them for a chainsaw oil vent.

Attached Images
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Max

I thought they would work the same as the duck bill prevents cavitation of the fuel tank as well by letting air in so it doesnt vapour lock.
That long since I worked on one with a easily removable duckbill i cant remember.

It wouldnt let air out as when the engine is running and fuel shaken up (pressure) it would jet out the cap if you turned it over

Hi Tyler,

Different chainsaws use different breathers but the principle is the same ,with the fuel tank on a chainsaw as you say there must
be a breather to let air in to stop vapour lock ,the duckbill can't do this as it can't work as a vacuum check valve ,in the image below
the tank breather that lets air into the tank would be 18, then you have the duckbill valve 25 to let fuel tank pressure out ,I would
think fuel doesn't spray everywhere when pressure is relieved out the duckbill because they also use a filter in the duckbill , the foam filter works by stopping fuel spewing out .

As we know If you don't have a pressure relief on a chainsaw fuel tank ,you would open the fuel cap and get sprayed in the face with
fuel after a little pressure built up .

The reason that there are a few people advertising the duckbill for an oil tank breather I think is because the oil tank and fuel tank
on some chainsaws are one part with 2 tanks built in so they say it's for fuel & oil tank but just used on the fuel side.

I've never seen chainsaw tank breathers discussed before but just couldn't see how a duckbill could be used for a vac valve but
if I've missed something happy to be corrected.

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
Apprentice level 2
Couldn't find the part needed. The rest of the saw is in good shape, motor starts and runs very nicely and has plenty of power for it's size so rather than toss it into a corner of the shed I have gone back to the old daze - filled a squeeze bottle with bar oil and giving the bar and chain a squirt now and then while cutting.

One of my early saws was a small McCulloch which had a manual oiler.

Hi MM,

It might be worth grabbing a bike schrader valve (later model valve ) and use that as a vac valve ,I tried one by removing
a few coils on the spring then stretching the spring, it opened with little vacuum and closed under spring pressure, not
sure how long it will last in oil but you can grab a Schrader valve from a car air conditioner system as that shouldn't
have a problem with oil.

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
Untitledzxy.jpg (56.24 KB, 18 downloads)
Apprentice level 2
If only Max :-) Problem is the original fitted into a shallow round recess and was flush with the surface of the case. I suspect it was integral with the rubber vent tube but had fractured off with age and fallen out.

I tried punching small discs from neoprene with pinholes, and foam, also stuck tape with a pinhole over the recess but due to the location on the front of the case and the fact I'm out there gathering firewood from trees and branches which have fallen into dense saplings and undergrowth any contact with a twig knocked out my repair.

In the unlikely event this saw gets to be dismantled maybe the hole can be blanked off and a new vent made internally. I have nine other rescued and running saws plus several awaiting rescue so will just carry on with manual oiling this Rancher until some other part expires.

In the meantime I got an old McCulloch CS 370 going with minimal effort and it is doing a great job as a 14 incher.

Last edited by MowingManiac; 05/06/24 08:39 AM.
I thought that may be the case MM ,if the saw had a shallow round recess ,I guess you
could easily block the hole with a cork or round dowel ,even if you had to make
one by putting a small bit of wood in a drill chuck and spinning it against a pedestal grinding wheel.Probably quite a few other ways to block the oil leak too.

I would just drill a hole in the oil cap after the oil leak is blocked and use
a valve stem from a motor bike tube as it has a longer thread then just use
2 lock nuts ,one on each side of the oil cap ,on the outside of the cap you
wouldn't need much of the valve stem sticking out ,also I would drill a hole in a
valve cap end and put a tiny sponge inside the valve cap and that will stop
any dirt getting stuck in the valve..

Up to you though if you could be bothered ,I just know if it was me stopping all the time while cutting and using an oil can would drive me crazy .

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
Valve.jpg (49.62 KB, 11 downloads)
Apprentice level 2
Max, when younger my firewood gathering was done with an axe and bow saw, trust me giving the bar/chain a quick squirt of bar oil between cuts is not a problem :-)

Moderated by  Bruce, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Newest Members
Billyboy, 84Krus7y, djel, John - 400 Olympic, Spunti
16,817 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,723
Posts104,687
Members16,818
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace