Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
0 members (), 7,567 guests, and 2,079 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 12:44 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 11:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 10:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 02:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 07:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 03:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 11:55 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 02/10/26 09:15 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by maxwestern - 02/10/26 08:18 PM
Serging revs
by looktall - 02/10/26 07:24 PM
Wanted: High quality photo of H. G. Palmer badge
by MarkusB - 01/10/26 09:04 PM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 03:41 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 11:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 10:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 11:38 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 5
Novice
Hi Folks - I picked up a facebook marketplace find - a cox "compact tractor".

See photos below

1) electrical wiring was old and frayed, now repaired (got some battery cables from a wrecker)
2) flat tyres - removed shredded tyre and replaced - filled all 4 wheels with "tyre weld"

3) worn cutting belt that completely shredded.. (I dont know how big to purchase) - any ideas??

4) it occassinoaly blows oil out of the crank case breather. (This causes masses of grey smoke, so I disconnected the breather, and it instead blows hot oil onto my left boot)

5) - it doesn't seem to have a brake lever attached on left hand side?

I need to identify the mower to get the right belt parts - and can't find any serial numbers on the mower. The side of the mower says "compact tractor" and it has a short rounded clutch pull rod on the right hand side.

I did some searching and found this manual/parts diagram.. i THINK it is the right one but unsure...
Cox Compact Tractor Manual

I did find a model and type on the engine though - Briggs and Stratton 12.5HP
Model 286707-type 4028 02-Code 92062931

So - here is some photos of the mower - can you please help me identify it?

And any thoughts on the blowing oil back into the carby through the breather?

Thanks in advance..

Jon

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/Us3Dq5WVcYrtDaXDA[/img]
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/wgB8SfgHZbTmvMqr7[/img]
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/uQJAbj32MAFGApAq6[/img]
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/DAnnwe9h7u62GykG8[/img]


handyman, small engine repairs and mowing
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 304
Likes: 22
Apprentice level 4
Ok, So that is a compact tractor, however it is an earlier 928 Series 1, that was painted greeny/yellow and brown, and had the little blade lever. Someone has "restored" it at some point and put later stickers on it and made huge rear mudguards for it. I have one identical and it is from 1976. That engine is not original and is from 1995. Would have had a 10hp white briggs in it, going by the wider tyres.

The engine to rear drive pulley belt is a B64, and the deck belt is a B50.

There was a rudimentary brake on them, operated on the big rear drive sprocket, but did not really work and was mostly pulled off, mine has been also. I do have pictures of the genuine setup and I can see why it was a problem. Brakes are not really necessary on a cox as like a greenfield you just use reverse to slow you down.

as for the oil issue, it could be as simple as a bad PCV valve, (which is built into the tappet cover, behind the carby) or as severe as shot rings causing huge blow by pushing the oil out the breather.

Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 5
Novice
thank you so much for the information! that gives me some clues to go with. I will source a deck belt at least. The thing with the oil is - it's intermittent, and it doesn't matter if it's cold or warm it just happens occassionally. I will either put a catch can on it, or I will see if I can sort out the pcv valve.

Kind Regards Jon


handyman, small engine repairs and mowing
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 5
Novice
I have purchased a Deck Belt (VB50) and drive belt (VB64) and an air filter, so I will give it some love and see how we go.


handyman, small engine repairs and mowing
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 5
Novice
I fitted the cutting belt today and it works well! Thanks 🙏


handyman, small engine repairs and mowing

Moderated by  Mr Davis, prd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
Fleshtuxcedo, bloge, Grubby16, Revan, Scoona
18,147 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,813
Members18,148
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1